Posted On: May 7, 2013

Filing A Sexual Harassment Complaint With The EEOC

So you are the victim of sexual harassment in Illinois and don't know what to do next. Well if you decide to file a complaint you can file with the Illinois Department of Human Rights ("IDHR") or the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ("EEOC"). If you file with the IDHR they will automatically cross-file with the EEOC. So why is it important to file with one agency or the other? The IDHR is basically the state system and allows you to file a lawsuit with the local circuit court. The EEOC on the other hand is the federal version and will allow you to file a lawsuit in federal court. Additionally, many times a person who is being sexually harassed is also the victim of retaliation. An experienced attorney can explain all of this with you.

It is important to discuss both options with an experienced employment attorney and weigh your options. There are pluses and minuses of each option. You and your attorney must decide first if your case can survive a motion for summary judgment or summary decision in both state and federal court. You also must decide what your damages are and if one venue is better for achieving your goals. The most important thing to do is something. Doing nothing will not solve the problem and if you wait too long, you will have missed the short statute of limitations time period. Take action and protect your legal rights.