Posted On: May 8, 2013

Filing An Age Discrimination Complaint With The Illinois Department Of Human Rights

In Illinois if you are the victim of age discrimination, what should you do? You should seek out an experienced employment lawyer. The lawyer can discuss the various options with you and then file a complaint with the Illinois Department of Human Rights ("IDHR"). The IDHR will investigate the issues and make a determination if there is substantial evidence or not. In order to prove age discrimination you need to first be over 40 years of age. You then have to establish that but for your age, there would not have been a negative job action taken against you or that you would have received a promotion or job offer.

It is not enough that you just allege it, you must prove it. These types of cases are very difficult to prove and you must have a good strategy in place before you start. An experienced lawyer can give you the pros and cons. It is very important that you save any written evidence like emails and text messages. Many times these issues come down to documents in the control of the company and their full impact will not be known until discovery or the investigation takes place. It is very important that you take action right away and don't wait too long.